A Free and Libre OS
Netrunner is a GNU/Linux operating system for netbooks, desktops and microcomputers.
It uses the Plasma desktop environment and other KDE software.
The standard version for netbooks and desktops ships with a complete set of pre-installed software for everyday use.
There is also a Core version that allows you to build up your own system or run it on low-spec hardware like arm-boards.
Netrunner is using KDE Plasma and tuning it to be as snappy and responsive as possible. We also develop new components and include them in Netrunner early on, for example:
– Kicker Startmenu (Drag’n’Drop-Sidebar, Windows/Meta-Key-Popup, Search enabled)
– Task-Manager with Expanding Icons
– Desktop Workspace (classic icons on a clean desktop, no overlays)
– Hot-Spot “Show Desktop” in lower right corner
– Auto-started KWallet
– Simplified System Settings
– Optimized KWin, so Open-GL works on most low-end machines
– Firefox and Thunderbird with Plasma Integration
– Unified Look for KDE and non-KDE-applications via GTK-Configuration
The Desktop Components
Plasma Themes and Window Decorations
Netrunner ships several Window- and Desktop-Themes to choose from, so you can start customizing right away.
For most of our Window Themes, we are using the Aurorae-3 engine for KWin, which allows blur and transparency on even low-end machines.
Kicker is the new startmenu, which resembles the classic menu, but is fully themeable and has features like a Favorites Drag’n’Drop Sidebar.
It can easily be invoked by the Meta-/Windows-Key.
Firefox for Plasma
VLC Media Player
Gmusicbrowser is a very efficient music player, without draining your computer’s resources from other tasks. Drag and drop folders and individual song files, search for artists and albums in your entire music library, or create and edit your own custom playlists.
Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry.
Pidgin & Skype
Synaptic Package Manager
Minimum System Reqirements
- CPU 1.6-GHz Intel Atom
- RAM 1GB
- Hard Drive Size 15GB
- Graphics Card Intel GMA 945
- Video Memory 128MB
- If you want to try Netrunner in VirtualBox, please make sure to allocate 1.5 GB RAM.
A Free and Libre Platform
The Netrunner Operating System is the result of a team effort based on FOSS principles. If you like to help or get involved, join in at the Netrunner Forums.